Ewing Consulting designs and develops customized versions of the WordPress content management application for its clients. EwingConsulting.com is also a customized version using WordPress.
Using WordPress enables us to provide a web site based on leading edge technology that is responsive and pleasing to the eyes on displays on varying sizes from smart phones, to tablets and desktop displays. It also enables our clients to make updates to the website content, if they want.
According to its website
"WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website, blog, or app. We like to say that WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time. The core software is built by hundreds of community volunteers, and when you’re ready for more there are thousands of plugins and themes available to transform your site into almost anything you can imagine."
We have found that this is one way to keep up with the changing capabilities of website technology without the investments of trying to do it yourself. For example,
- WordPress already incorporates the functions required to make your web site responsive to devices with displays of varying sizes. Your web site will display appropriately on small displays like those on smart phones, through tablets and up to the displays on desktop systems. This also means it will rank more highly on Google search results, since a mobile-friendly web site is now one of the criteria in Google’s mobile search routines.
- WordPress is frequently being updated to take advantage of the latest security features, so you can rest assured your clients and prospects can visit your web site safely.
- WordPress yields higher search engine results, because it is written to display your content quickly. This also provides a more pleasant visitor experience.
- WordPress can be expand by adding from the hundreds of additional plugin applications available on the WordPress market place. To be listed there these applications have to pass compatibility and performance tests established by the WordPress team. This means you can enhance the performance of your web site without being concerned about the quality of the added functions.
And the list goes on. You get all this for no charge. This is the power of “open sourced” applications available for your website.
What is a Theme
The WordPress content managment application provides the underlying technology to manage the content of a web site and to prepare it for presentation on the internet. Specificly how the content is displayed is controlled by the “theme” selected for each web site. These themes determine the placement of the content on the web page as well as its appearance like colors, font selections, and image managment.
There are many themes from which to choose. Ewing Consulting bases its customized soltuions on the core themes produced by the WordPress development team. We feel this gives our clients a reliably superior solution because these themes are upgrded as the WordPress application is enhanced.
How do we customize themes
Ewing Consulting takes the best of the selected themes and customizes them for the unique needs of our clients.
- We customize the colors, font selections, and formatting to provide the most appropriate context for the information on each page of the website. For example, a professional photographer might use a black background to highlight the work. A landscape company might prefer shades of green to show off their services.
- We define the content heirarchy and navigation within the website to make it easier for visitors to find the information they want quickly. The harder it is to find the information, the more likey a visitor is to leave the website dissatisfied.
- We add functions to make it easier to manage the content and to control its presentation.
- We test the design on display sizes of various widths to be sure the website is presented effectively on mobile devices as well as on desktop displays. For example, the header at the top of the page needs to change its content and format as the display size increases from smart phones to tablets and desktop displays.